SCRIE (Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption) and DRIE (Disability Rent Increase Exemption) programs provide rent increase protection for low-income seniors and people with disabilities in eligible housing.
In NYC, there are two agencies that administer the programs. NYC Department of Finance (DOF) administers all of DRIE and SCRIE for rent-regulated tenants. NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) administers SCRIE for Housing Development Fund Corporation (HDFC) coops and Mitchell-Lama tenants.
In accordance with the city and state’s State of Emergency, DOF and HPD have made administrative changes to their policies and procedures.
If you are a Benefits Plus subscriber, for additional information on DRIE, refer to Benefits Plus, Housing Programs and Services, DRIE. For information on SCRIE, refer to Benefits Plus, Benefits Plus, Housing Programs and Services, SCRIE. For subscription information visit: https://bplc.cssny.org/home/subscription_options.
NYC Department of Finance (DOF) SCRIE and DRIE
DOF has made the following administrative changes to their policies and procedures:
- Eligibility determinations are taking longer than usual, but individuals should continue to apply.
- New and renewal applications can be mailed or submitted online at http://www.nyc.gov/contactscrie or http://www.nyc.gov/contactdrie.
For a Q&A on DOF’s SCRIE/DRIE, visit: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/rentfreeze/help/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions.page.
NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) SCRIE
HPD has made the following administrative changes to their policies and procedures:
- Processing of renewals and new applications may be delayed.
- If processing is delayed, HPD will issue retroactive SCRIE payments on behalf of seniors determined eligible for the program.
- Seniors can submit their applications, documentation, and questions via email at email@example.com or by mail to:
100 Gold Street
New York, NY 10038
For HPD’s SCRIE updates, visit: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/services-and-information/covid-19-updates.page.