Housing Search Resources
Landlord Watch has put together an FAQ on how housing search in NYC (with or without a rental assistance program, such as FHEPS, CityFHEPS, HASA, Section 8) is affected. Website visitors can submit questions and share information on the site as well.
The FAQ is updated regularly. To access the FAQ site, go to https://landlordwatch-covid19.webflow.io.
If absolutely necessary, people can move during the outbreak, as moving companies are deemed “essential” by the State. However, buildings may not permit moves. Check with building before scheduling any moves.
NYC HOUSING CONNECT
NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development has made several changes to the NYC Housing Connect lottery process. For those changes, click here.
CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU
NYS DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
HOUSING COURT ANSWERS
- Housing Court Hotline: 212-962-4795, Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm
- COVID-19 Resources: http://housingcourtanswers.org/answers/covid-19-resources.
Housing Legal Advice
Tenants can contact these organizations for free housing-related legal advice; phone calls only.
- Goddard Law Project at (212) 799-9638, x0
- Housing Conservation Coordinators at (212) 541-5996, Monday evenings, 7-9 pm
- Legal Services NYC at (917) 661-4509 — serves residents city-wide in several languages
- NMIC Housing Legal Services at (929) 512-4565, Wednesday’s 9am-12pm.
- NYLAG at (929) 356-9582, Monday – Friday, 10am-1pm.
- Open Hands Legal Services at 917-379-0705, Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 5:30pm
- PALANTE Harlem, Inc. at (212) 491-2541 — English & Spanish spoken
- Take Root Justice Housing Hotline at (646) 459-3022
MAYOR’S OFFICE TO PROTECT TENANTS
Provides answers to questions for NYC tenants during quarantine or who have been hospitalized due to COVID-19. Visit: https://www1.nyc.gov/content/tenantprotection/pages/covid19-home-quarantine.
NYC’S TENANT SUPPORT UNIT
Provide assistance to New Yorkers who may be experiencing landlord harassment, are at risk of displacement, or need to make home-related repairs. https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/tenant-support-unit.page
NYC HOUSING COURT’S VIRTUAL HELP CENTER
Provides answers to questions and information from court attorneys.
- Bronx/Manhattan: 646-386-5554 or 646-386-5555
- Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island: 718-262-7185 or 718-262-7186
RIGHT TO COUNSEL COALITION
Right to Counsel NYC Coalition has created FAQ’s regarding: