Housing Search Resources
NYC HOUSING CONNECT
NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development has made several changes to the NYC Housing Connect lottery process. For those changes, click here.
CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU
- Homeowner’s Guide to Success: What to do if you Can’t Pay Your Mortgage
NYS DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
NYC TENANT RESOURCE PORTAL
The Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants (MOPT) and the Mayor’s Public Engagement Unit’s (PEU) Tenant Support Unit (TSU) launched the NYC Tenant Resource Portal to help residential renters access free eviction prevention resources. The portal features a question-and-answer tool in English and Spanish to navigate renters to resources based on their housing circumstances. The portal also has up-to-date information on the general status of evictions in New York City Housing Court.
Tenants who do not have access to the internet to use the NYC Tenant Resource Portal can call 311 and ask for the Tenant Helpline to be connected to a TSU Specialist that can provide free, individualized assistance.
CITYWIDE LANDLORD-TENANT MEDIATION PROJECT
The Citywide Landlord-Tenant Mediation Project provides mediation services outside of the NYC housing court system for tenants and landlords with rent-related issues. While the Mediation Project will focus on the hardest hit communities facing hardship due to COVID-19, all tenants in NYC, regardless of immigration status, can call the 311 Tenant Helpline to talk to NYC Mayor’s Public Engagement Unit’s housing specialists. Eligible tenants will be referred to a non-profit Community Dispute Resolution Centers (CDRCs) in each borough, which will provide the mediation services.
Each CDRC will manage case intake, provide mediation sessions, and monitor case follow up for tenants. The CDRCs will assist tenants and small landlords in finding solutions to rental issues due to the COVID-19 pandemic before they reach litigation in housing court. The Mediation Project will handle cases in a setting where both parties feel safe, and priority will be given to tenants and small landlords who do not have legal representation.
To view the neighborhoods and zip codes in each borough hardest hit by COVID-19, visit https://www1.nyc.gov/site/neon/programs/covid-neighborhoods.page.
For more information on the Mediation Project, click here for the Mayor’s press release.
HOUSING COURT ANSWERS
- Housing Court Hotline: 212-962-4795, Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm
- COVID-19 Resources: http://housingcourtanswers.org/answers/covid-19-resources.
Housing Legal Advice
Tenants can contact these organizations for free housing-related legal advice; phone calls only.
- Goddard Law Project at (212) 799-9638, x0
- Housing Conservation Coordinators at (212) 541-5996, Monday evenings, 7-9 pm
- Mobilization for Justice, Inc.
- Manhattan + Brooklyn: 212-417-3888 (M, W, TH 9-5)
- The Bronx: 212-417-3889 (M, W, 9-5)
- Legal Services NYC at (917) 661-4509 — serves residents city-wide in several languages
- NMIC Housing Legal Services at (929) 512-4565, Wednesday’s 9am-12pm.
- NYLAG at (929) 356-9582, Monday – Friday, 10am-1pm.
- Open Hands Legal Services at 917-379-0705, Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 5:30pm
- PALANTE Harlem, Inc. at (212) 491-2541 — English & Spanish spoken
- Take Root Justice Housing Hotline at (646) 459-3022
MAYOR’S OFFICE TO PROTECT TENANTS
Provides answers to questions for NYC tenants during quarantine or who have been hospitalized due to COVID-19. Visit: https://www1.nyc.gov/content/tenantprotection/pages/covid19-home-quarantine.
NYC’S TENANT SUPPORT UNIT
Provides assistance to New Yorkers who may be experiencing landlord harassment, are at risk of displacement, or need to make home-related repairs. https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/tenant-support-unit.page
NYC HOUSING COURT’S VIRTUAL HELP CENTER
Provides answers to questions and information from court attorneys.
- Bronx/Manhattan: 646-386-5554 or 646-386-5555
- Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island: 718-262-7185 or 718-262-7186
RIGHT TO COUNSEL COALITION
Right to Counsel NYC Coalition has created FAQ’s regarding:
CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU
- Protections for Renters: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus/mortgage-and-housing-assistance/renter-protections